Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

The Rain in Spain

I watched My Fair Lady  the other night so when trying to think of a fun title for this post, that's the first thing that popped into my head.


Sadly, this entry has nothing to do with the rain in Spain staying mainly in the plain. The rain, it seems, is staying mainly in Virginia. And I want it to go away.

I already mentioned that they are calling for rain in Virginia Beach this Saturday, which is conveniently when I'm supposed to be running the Virginia is for Lovers 14k. My attempts to rein (punny!) in my obsessive checking of the forecast on weather.com haven't been successful. Right now, the chance of rain is not only still there, but it now is specifically calling for MORNING rain. And wind.

CURSES


Despite all of my whining, I'm going to tell you that I'm not really a pansy runner.

Ok, maybe a little bit.

I will run in the cold and in the snow. When training with the Y group for my first 10k, it snowed or iced or was freezing cold with biting winds for most of our group runs. That didn't phase me. I will run in a misty/drizzly kind of rain as long as it isn't too cold. For instance, it had been raining for days before September's Maymont 8 Miler and it rained on and off during the race. This was a trail race with lots of tree cover, so I didn't even know it was raining until my husband told me at the finish line.

But I will not run if it is hovering in the 30s and raining. During the summer I turn into a total wuss. I absolutely despise sweating - yeah, I know, I picked the wrong sport - so if the thermometer is above 70* you will find me on the dreadmill or putting in my 5483020 laps around the indoor track at the Y. Maybe I should have made one of my resolutions for 2012 to be to toughen up when it comes to running in the heat.

Anyhow, I have been so looking forward to this race (mainly because of it's cute name and equally cute medal) that I am considering throwing my pansy ways out the door and still running the race, even if it is raining.


Medal from 2 years ago. Adorable, right? Worth being wet and cold?


Of course what is more likely to happen is that I will have done all of this fretting for nothing. I will show up to the race on Saturday at 8 am and then run my 8.69919 miles and it won't rain at all.

Is there a certain type of weather you hate to run in?

No comments:

Post a Comment