Pages

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Summer In My Slog

Just nine days ago, I was so very happy when spring finally seemed to arrive in Richmond.

Apparently spring only lasted that one day. After that it turned cold and dreary again.

Then came this week. Yesterday it was 87. Yesterday, we topped out at:

Yesterday was also the day Greg and I had scheduled to run a Faux Monument Avenue 10k. Our aim was to create - to the best of our ability - race day and see how fast we could go.

Because of the ridiculous heat, it ended up being a Slow Monument Avenue 10k instead. Honestly, it was one of the most miserable runs I've had in a while. My feet felt like they weighed 10 tons each. I couldn't talk because I was too busy using every ounce of my concentration to put one foot in front of the other. When we hit red lights, I wasn't sure whether I was happy that I could stop for a minute or annoyed because it meant we were getting delayed and thus spending more time outside.

We tried to take it slow, but both Greg and I were big time FAILS when it came to pacing. This was likely because we just wanted to be finished and the faster you run, the faster you're done!

And finish we did - in 53:37. Not exactly what we had been hoping for, but it's ok. It isn't going to be 90 degrees this Saturday morning. In fact, having slogged through this run will probably make the 50s that we will be running in on race day feel quite fabulous and we can crush this race like we want to.

Now, can we please stop with this summer in April crap? I'd like to enjoy some temperate spring temperatures before we dive right into sweltering.


No comments:

Post a Comment