Pages

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Things I Believe Thursday III

I believe that it's a good thing to do something that you don't think you like or aren't good at.

Refusing to participate in things because of these reasons will probably result in the loss of a learning experience. Learning experiences are always good things, whether they are positive or negative.

In the past week, I have been pushed into participating in some hands-on, crafty-type of activities. I am the first person to tell you that I suck at crafting and do not like it, therefore I am loathe to participate.

Though I would never voluntarily seek out a craft myself, I am lucky to have an extremely crafty BFF who forces me to partake in such activities from time to time. On Black Friday I spent the day with her. Our craft project was creating tags for Christmas gifts using old holiday cards and a die cutter.

Here's me as we began the project, demonstrating my typical "I-can't-believe-you're-making-me-craft-again" death stare:


In the end, it turns out that I really enjoyed using the die cutter and could've done so all day long. I was quite disappointed when we ran out of ribbon and had to stop. Our tags turned out quite beautifully too.


AND extra bonus points because we were engaging in some recycling (hippies like me love repurposing!).

But that's not where the do-it-yourself stopped! This morning, I participated in one of Maymont's Wreath  Making Workshops. My very generous boss paid for myself and the three other girls in my department to attend as our holiday gift. I had considered doing a workshop last year, but decided against it because I figured I would just end up annoyed at my lack of skills.

I'm really thankful that Mr. Boss gave me the opportunity to try it out this year. Even though I got very sappy (I hate getting dirty) and had a bit of a slow start, I ended up with a gorgeous wreath that I'm going to be very proud to have on my front door.


And the best part is that I made it with my own 2 hands!

So, even though you may "hate" something (or think you hate it), it might be a good idea to give it a try any anyway. You never know what you might discover in yourself.

By doing this, I've discovered that I'm a runner (the best discovery ever) and that sometimes I kind of like crafts.

But only sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment