Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Progress

Last night I engaged in another highly stimulating "run" around the vita course.

(can you sense the sarcasm?)

Truth be told, running 1 minute and then walking 1 minute is not exactly the most enjoyable experience. It goes something like this:

[Running minute] This feels so awesome. I'm running again. I can't believe it. I'm faster than the wind, light as a feather, graceful as a gazelle. I never want to stop!

[Garmin interrupts feelings of happiness] Beep! Beep! Beep! Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!

[Walking minute] Ugh dammit. Time to walk already? Blah. Just remember... be thankful that you are at least able to run for a minute. Remember crutches? Remember how much that sucked? God this minute is taking f...o..r...e...v...e...r.

[Garmin] Beep! Beep! Beep! Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!

[Running minute] Oh THANK GOD. Man, running is so much faster and enjoyable than walking. Look at all the ground I'm covering! And nothing hurts! Seriously, I could forev...

[Garmin] Beep! Beep! Beep! Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!

[Walking minute] DAMMIT!

Repeat.


Essentially this.
Credit: Fredrik Broden for Newsweek

This whole thing is only made tolerable by the presence of a running buddy (in this case, poor Greg, who seriously has the patience of a saint), whose presence distracts during the walking minutes.

I wanted to push last night's work out a bit and complete a 5k so I could get an idea of how long it's going to take me to complete the Turkey Trot that I've signed up for on Thanksgiving. Last year I ran the same race in 27:47.

Anyhow, we ran/walked for 2 miles (22 minutes) and then walked the final mile (18 minutes... uuuuuuuuuugh). Based on last night's test, I'll be thrilled if I break 40:00 this year.

Despite the bi-polar nature of my emotions while completing this "run", when I got into my car afterwards I was cheerful and high on life.

How I miss those running endorphins! I bet my husband does too, because I'm much more pleasant to be around when I'm high on running 80% of the time.

The good news is that this morning my foot isn't as sore as it was after last Monday's "run". Yay for progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment