Pages

Friday, April 13, 2012

The Week in Running

I've been a bit M.I.A. this week from just about everything, including the blog.

Generally, if I'm not writing the blog it's because I have been having to use all of the power in my writing brain cells to write for my job. When that happens, there is just no writing juice left for the blog. This accounts for 50% of my lack of blogging this week. I'm up against a lot of deadlines that require a lot of intelligent writing and it's draining me.

We also unfortunately had some family stuff to deal with - so there's the other 50% of the reason for my lack of blogging.

When I left, I had just had completed the 2nd take of the Monument Avenue 10k with Marcey and ended my entry by telling you all how excited I was to get out and run this week in the beautiful weather. Luckily, even though everything else was blowing up in my face, I managed to get some running in:
  • A difficult, pollen-filled 4 miler on Tuesday.
  • A chilly but fast and awesome 5 miler with the RLaG group on Wednesday.
  • A superfast 4 miler last night with an awesome soundtrack that included what I'm going to go ahead and say is my personal anthem:


Who run the world? Girls. That's right, Bey.
Beyonce - Run the World (Girls)

With the help of Beyonce, Gaga, Mumford & Sons, and Lenny Kravitz, I ran 4 miles in 34:40 with my fastest mile being a blazing 8:15 (that's blazing for me, ok?).

Tonight I'm headed up to Maryland to stay with BFF. Tomorrow we are doing the Wolftrap Run for the Arts 5k. This one is close to my heart for a few reasons:

1. One of my best friends (who also happens to be a runner - she's done the Marine Corps Marathon twice!) works at Wolftrap, so I'm happy to support her.

Shannon and me

2. I love the arts and therefore am more than happy to run for the arts. I also adore Wolftrap, which is a fabulous place to go see a summer concert.

3. Doc Nix and the Green Machine are going to be playing along the route. Therefore, I'm going to have to stop and get my photo taken with Doc. Definitely.

Doc, lookin' fly.


George Mason's pep band "The Green Machine" performing a mash up of Rage Against the Machine
Reason # 43840318 why our pep band is cooler than yours.

4. It's a bit of a homecoming for me. I spent 2 awesome summers working at Wolftrap in the hospitality department. Essentially, this meant that I went grocery shopping for every band/artist/performer who came through the Filene Center during the summer of 2004 and 2005. These included Bill Cosby, Bonnie Raitt, Blues Traveler, Hootie & the Blowfish, the B-52s, Clay Aiken, the Boston Pops, Renee Fleming, Tony Bennett... etc etc. It was pretty freaking awesome. I wish that I could go back and work there every summer.

Me working backstage at Wolftrap,
Summer of 2005

We are also going to go re-live 8th grade by going to see Titanic in 3D. To say I'm excited about tomorrow is an understatement.

So be on the lookout for a race recap on Sunday and hopefully, once these deadlines are past, more reliable posting from me!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for following me!!! I LOVE the George Mason colors (Green Bay fan!) but GMason, well, SCHOOLED my Uconn boys years back...still hurts ;-) My hubby and I visit Annapolis and VA Beach every year, love your area! Looking forward to reading your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Kristin! I love getting inspired by all of the amazing running ladies out there.

      Haha, yes I remember the schooling of UConn. Sorry about that. ;)

      Ooooh Annapolis. I'm actually from Maryland and my aunt lives there now. It's so pretty- I miss it.

      Delete