Pages

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Monument Avenue 10k - Take 2

Today I had the enormous pleasure of meeting up with my friend and Hot Mother Runner Marcey for a redo of the Monument Avenue 10k.

You might recall from my race report that poor Marcey ended up not being able to run the official Monument Avenue 10k last Saturday. The new, strange, and unexpected road closures that morning prevented her from getting to her usual planned parking spot. As a result, she had to fight with the 40,000 other people descending on downtown Richmond to find parking. By the time she found one, she was so flustered and angry that she accidentally locked her keys in her car... while the car was still running. She had to stay with the car and wait until her husband came to her rescue and missed out on the race.

Marcey was just crushed by the situation and I was also upset for her. All I could think to do to remedy things was to offer to run our own Monument Avenue 10k.

Which is exactly what we did today.

I must say that today's Monument Avenue 10k had many improvements over the previous iteration.

1. No trouble parking.
2. Insanely beautiful weather. Perfect, even: 63* with a slight cool breeze.
3. Awesome company for 6.2 miles.


The only problems were that they didn't close the road for us and there were no water stops.

This was Marcey's race the whole way. We took it at her pace and we had a wonderful time. In fact, I hate to say it but I'm glad we got to do this today because I got to spend an entire 6.2 miles hanging and chatting with Marcey, which wouldn't have happened last Saturday.

Marcey, after completing our exclusive
Monument Avenue 10k. Seriously, I love this woman.

Afterwards, we walked to Lift for some delicious celebratory frappuccinos and split a bagel. Cause what's a race without a bagel? (I should note that apparently the actual Monument Ave 10k didn't offer bagels. So this is another way today's race was better than the original.) 



Marcey also gave me a birthday present that could not have been more appropriate:

Everything down to the card was cake-themed.
Yes, that is a cake server with a pink zebra "high heel."
Hell. Yes.

It couldn't have been a more perfect way to spend the afternoon.

When I got home I put together this Portobello and Asparagus Egg Strata for tomorrow's Easter brunch. I've never made anything like it before, so I'm kind of anxious to see how it turns out. Hopefully it's good.

While I was chopping and cooking, I distracted Mason with a Busy Bone.

Allow me to demonstrate how much this dog hates
having his photo taken. First I took this picture...

and as soon as I snapped the first photo, he picked
up the bone and moved 10 feet away from me. Brat.

Next week's weather is looking absolutely fabulous. I can't wait to get out and run in it!

1 comment:

  1. I went for a jog right before work tonight at 5pm and it was sooo beautiful. Crisp air, very refreshing!!
    I jogged over to Rowlett's and I found some great bike shoes-- they're closing permanently so everything's on clearance if you need any bike stuff.

    ReplyDelete