Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

Vacation Running

Husband and I are on vacation this week in the Outer Banks. We neded to come down and check up on the construction of our new beach house. It's coming along nicely:

Haha. Yeah right. I wish!

In reality, Husband and I had a little too much wine at a charity fundraising auction last year and ended up purchasing a week long stay at a beach house in Corolla, North Carolina. 50 weeks later, we are finally here. And doesn't it just figure that after a March of 80 degree plus weather, it's cold and rainy the week we are at the beach.

Anyhow, I haven't really been on an extended vacation since I officially became an obsessive runner. So I've never actually committed to running while away from home outside of the few times I've visiting the Y in good old Hagerstown.

This time is different. For one, my April mileage so far has been a little bit pathetic. I want to make up for it this week when I have nothing better to do. Two, running is now such a normal part of my life that if I don't do it, I end up feeling like complete crap. So it's a necessity.

I have not run since last Tuesday (after work appointments, packing for trips, Husband was in a wedding in Baltimore...) and this morning I was practically chomping at the bit to get on the road. I felt so behind that I thought I could run and run and run and run.

The weather was a bit on the chilly side, overcast and windyNot good beach weather, but pretty decent running weather. I ended up going 6.2 miles, taking a few stops along the way to take in scenery such as these giant, beautiful houses that I covet:

One of these could be yours for a mere $1.5 million.

And of course, the beach itself:



I finished in 53:45 - not too shabby for almost having 6 days off and being stuffed full of terrible food including 4 pieces of pizza.



Tomorrow I'm thinking I might attempt beach running for the first time ever. There is also a 7 mile long running trail in the town of Duck, which is a little further south of where we are staying that I would like to try.

For now, I'll leave you with an adorable picture of Mason seeing the ocean for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment