Pages

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Running in Germany

When we went to Italy, I had every intention of running. Of course that didn't happen, but this time I had to put in some miles considering I'm pretty near the apex of marathon training.

Luckily for me, Germans are all about exercise and the great outdoors. In fact, one of the first things I saw in the pedestrian zone in Kaiserslautern was a running store!




Hiking trails abound and our hotel is situated with easy access to two trail systems. Don't ask me what they are, but here's a sign:




I decided to take my first run last Friday, the day after we arrived. I figured that it would be a good idea to get some miles in before we spent the weekend playing tourist.

The weather has been a nice change from the horrible heat and humidity of central Virginia. It was actually a bit brisk on Friday morning; I believe it was about 50 degrees when I left the hotel. In other words, perfect running weather.

I had wanted to run 10 miles, but my body was still on EST and thought that it was 2 am, so I did an easy 6.5 instead. The trails were relatively flat, wide, shaded, and for the most part, deserted. I saw 3 other runners and 2 bikers.










The past 3 days have been run-free, but there was plenty of walking as we visited Rothenberg ob der Tauber, went on a Rhine cruise, and explored Heidelberg and its schloss (castle).

It took a lot of self prodding to drag myself out of bed this morning and coax my tourist legs to hit the trail again. Once again, the weather was to die for - crisp, sunny, and low humidity. This time I split off on one of the side trails, which turned into a steep climb with no end in sight.




I only lasted half a mile before I wussed out and headed back to the flatter trails, where I finished up a 10k, which seemed appropriate in this land of kilometers.

Now I am dreading going back to steamy Richmond to attempt an 18 miler this coming weekend. I'd rather stay here, where fall mornings have already arrived!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Ludwigshafener Straße,Eselsfürth,Germany

No comments:

Post a Comment