Pages

Monday, July 1, 2013

Richmond Marathon Training Take 2 - Week 4

First: Why does it always have to rain on Monday, thereby spoiling my Monday morning run plans? Greg and I were going to hit the Buttermilk Trail for the first time since April but thanks to crazy overnight storms and an iffy forecast for this morning, we canceled. BOO.

Anyway, last week I said that I was dreading my training runs because of the appearance of real summer. It turned out to be not as bad as I had feared, but I still do stand by my statement that I hate summer.


3 runs for 17 miles (drop back week)
11 miles on the bike
1200 yards swimming (Tuesday); 1000 meters swimming (Sunday)

Running miles logged so far: 69 (haha)

Training highlights:

  • A really fun run on Wednesday morning that incorporated some new sights along one of my favorite routes and a killer hill that totally kicked my butt. 
Lauren and I taking a moment at the top of the killer hill.
  • Really feeling it in the pool now (as in feeling good). I fear that the bike is going to end up going by the wayside... it is back to being my least favorite form of exercise.

Training lowlights:

  • Planned outdoor run last Monday got rained out, so I spent 5 miles on the dreadmill. Around mile 3.5 my foot started to feel funny. It felt funny through Tuesday night. I'm coming to the conclusion that I run funny on treadmills. Every time I do it nowadays, some body part that doesn't usually bother me starts to hurt (hip, glute, or shins). 
  • Our 7 mile training run felt a lot harder than it should have, although I had fun running at the very front of the pack.
Credit: MTT Photos
Don't let the smile fool you - it was a tough one.
Husband also noted that it is me and a bunch of dudes
(except for Teresa, who is behind Kit in the red).
  • Getting a post-MTT dressing down from Run Jilly Bean, who reminded me that I am running my long run too fast (even according to the Run Less Run Faster standard). She laid into me Drill Sargeant style: "Do you want to make it to November? Do you want to break your foot again? You've got to slow down your pace!" She even pulled out the big guns, threatening to track my pace via my Daily Mile posts throughout this week. Thanks for looking out for me, Jill. I know I have to slow down... maybe next week. =)
This week is kinda screwy thanks to the 4th of July. I will miss MTT on Saturday, so I'm going to try to run our scheduled 10 miler downtown on Friday instead. Right now I'm trying to find someone  (ANYONE!) to run it with me because the thought of doing it by myself makes me very sad. 

Also this week is YOR (Year of Running) race number ... something (Marcey, help!) with Marcey: the Patriots 5k at Robius Landing Park on the Fourth. This will be my first time running a race on the 4th of July, which just happens to be my most favorite holiday in the world, so I'm pretty excited about it.

If you're keeping track, this also means that I will be running three days in a row (!): Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. I am mildly nervous about it, but given that I plan to go easy at the 5k and that it is only a 5k, I think it will be ok. I ran this morning (not on trails... wah wah) and will take tomorrow completely off to gear up for the rest of the week. 

Anybody else running a Fourth of July race?

1 comment:

  1. I finally accepted the fact that I was going to have to slow down and find a more manageable summer training pace too. After bonking on my nightmare run two weeks ago, I went out last Saturday and ran a comfortable 9 miles without locking my keys in my car, cutting myself, or bonking. WIN!

    And I did a sweat test to prove what I already know; I sweat A LOT. Lost 8 lbs on my run, consumed 1 pint during run, for an approximate total of 9 pts lost. I felt fine, but I’m definitely going to have to make sure I stay hydrated this summer.

    Happy Training.

    ReplyDelete