Pages

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

No Dice

Yesterday I was so excited to go see Dr. Cutter. I have never ever in my life  been excited about going to a doctor's appointment, but yesterday I could barely contain myself. Freedom from crutches was so close that I could taste it. At 12:30 I happily declared allowed to the office that the next three hours could very well be the last three hours that I ever spend on crutches.

Too bad I was wrong.

Turns out I will be spending another 2-3 weeks on crutches.

I thought I would be mad or cry or scream or something but instead I kind of just didn't react. My foot had seemed to be so much better the last few days... I had been so certain that I was going to be crutch free as of yesterday at 3:30 pm that I had not even entertained the thought that I'd be stuck with them for 2-3 more weeks.

I guess I have just passed into acceptance of being broken.

No... what I really think it happening is that I have become determined to be the best damn bone healer you ever saw - that my foot will heal properly and beautifully and that this will never happen again because I was such a good girl and listened to everything my doctor told me.

So what's the deal with being banished to continued crutching? Dr. Cutter says that the fracture has not continued to split which is a good thing, but there isn't enough "clouding" going on yet in my X-Ray to indicate that real healing has taken hold. To be honest, when he pulled up my new X-Rays and zoomed in to the break, even I could see that it didn't look any different and I knew I was doomed.

The good (?) news is that the good doctor is allowing me to begin my career as a swimmer as long as I don't "kick too much" with the broken foot. So it's doubly good that the Speedo that I ordered arrived last night along with a swim cap and goggles.


Nevermind that I haven't truly swum (is that even a word?) since probably the 7th grade. I'll worry about that once I drag myself to the Y, crutch down to the pool, and slip into the water with all of the old ladies doing their laps.

I am also allowed to stationary bike, but have to pedal with my heel on my left foot. Not sure how that is going to work out exactly, but I happily packed my gym clothes into my bookbag last night and plan to go to the Y tonight and bike for 35 minutes.

At the end of my appointment, I gathered up the courage to ask Dr. Cutter if I would ever be able to run at the same volume again... and if this was just going to keep happening to me if I did.

"Oh yes. You're going to be totally fine when this heals up," he said almost immediately and with what I thought was a little too much confidence.

"But how will we keep this from happening again??" I asked.

He claims that through foot strengthening exercises I should be able to prevent this from happening again.

I wish I could say that I believe him, but I don't really. Right now I can't even stand on my left foot and it seems like I will never walk again, let alone run 30 miles a week.

So there you have it. Lady Limpsalot lives on.

And I promise that soon I will post about something other than my boring broken foot.

6 comments:

  1. Ugh, I'm sorry to hear that you're still stuck on crutches. To make swimming more fun, check out Splish suits! :) I am much more motivated when I am wearing a fun suit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely need to get a more attractive suit if this swimming thing is going to stick. I'm thinking sparkles! Thanks for the recommendation.

      Delete
  2. That must have been quite the fracture!

    Trust me, my friend, there is hope! I took off literally FIVE months when I had a stress fracture in my pelvis in 2010 and I came back and had a pretty awesome time running since then with no issues with the stress fracture.

    Only thing I changed was added a lot more calcium and protein to my diet (I started eating meat and lots of greek yogurt) and made sure to take at least 2 rest days per week.

    And OH MY GOSH I wanted to tell you that some folks over at lululemon short pump contacted me to see if I'd model for their weekly newsletter. I just about had a heart attack and immediately agreed to do it. I'll keep you posted on when it comes out, but I thought of you because you're my lulu-loving buddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that you've dealt with injury and obviously CONQUERED IT BIG TIME! =)

      Uhhh... Lulu model?? WHAT!? That is amazing and actually not surprising at all because you can pull off anything, being so adorable and all. Let them know I'm happy to step in if you're ever unavailable. ;) So jealous!

      Delete
  3. I too have bought the attractive one-piece to try some aqua jogging and swimming! What poo do you go to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to the Downtown Y right now during the week. It's honestly not as bad as I thought it would be and I'm glad I can swim now, but still miss running like whoa.

      Delete