Pages

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Summer Donut Dash: Dixie Donuts Edition

Next up in the Summer Donut Dash Series is the fabulous Dixie Donuts!

All photos from Dixie Donuts' Facebook page

While Sugar Shack's signature style is the yeast donut, Dixie Donuts has cornered the market on cake donuts. Since Dixie opened in 2012, I can't even count the number of times I have stopped in for one (or a dozen) donuts, my favorite of which is the Dulce de Leche - dubbed salted caramel by me. I can safely say I've eaten 50 or more of them.

Other tantalizing flavors include (but definitely aren't limited to!) the Aztec, the Oreo, Key Lime, Dixie Sugar Spice, German Chocolate, Samoa, French Toast, Maple Bacon, and the O.M.G:

O.M.G. is really the only name that could be appropriate for these beauties!

There is hot debate about donut types - most people fall into one camp or the other. As for me, both yeast and cake donuts have their merits. I adore Sugar Shack, but Dixie is equally wonderful. In my humble opinion, the Dixie donut is perfectly sized for flavor testing. I always get my standard flavor, accompanied by a new taste sensation. They aren't so big that eating two makes you feel guilty; instead, two Dixie Donuts (in the immortal words of Goldilocks) are juuuuuuust right.

The other thing that I love about Dixie Donuts is Donut Artist, Carol Brown.



I don't know what is about Carol, but when I see her in her trademark bandana behind the counter, it always makes me smile. Not to mention, girl has talent. Not only do Dixie's donuts taste amazing, but they are also fun little works of donut art! She and her team really go above and beyond.





So now that I've made you extremely hungry for a donut, here is the info about the Summer Donut Dash Series: Dixie Donuts Edition!

When: Sunday, July 20, 2014. Group departs promptly at 8 am.

Where: Dixie Donuts at 2901 W. Cary Street, Richmond, VA. Plentiful free street parking; please do not use Dixie Donuts' small surface lot.

Course: After covering the historic Fan district and Monument Avenue last time, we are going to go check out Byrd Park. Tour sights will include Carillon, Dogwood Dell, Vita Course, the Lakes, and Maymont.

How: Register online here. Pre-registration and completed waiver required; payment in cash or credit can be accepted on site. Please arrive early if paying on site. PLEASE NOTE that if you don't get a confirmation email, you aren't registered - make sure you follow through to the last step to ensure proper registration.

Full information about the series can be found on the Running Food Tours! Tab.

No comments:

Post a Comment