Pages

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Final Planning Tips & Details: Run Like a Girl

I hope all of you had a great Memorial Day weekend - and that you got some running in! The weather here in the RVA was just glorious. I ordered it up especially for the 3rd Annual KBP + HMR Memorial Day Run. Marcey and I had a great time exploring some of my favorite spots along the rivah including the Pipeline and Belle Isle.



 



It was fabulous, as always.

Anyhow, now to the real purpose of this entry (no, it wasn't gratuitous running shots).

The Run Like a Girl Pocahontas 4-Miler is this weekend on Sunday! Wow! I can hardly believe it's already here.  Team Run Eat Play RVA is up to that magical goal number of 10 - which is just awesome. Thanks to everyone who already signed up and if there are any stragglers out there, you can still sign up online for just a few more days.

I want to make sure each and every one of you has a great experience, so here are a few tips for race day that will come in handy.

  1. Packet Pick Up is available Saturday, May 31 at Lucky Foot running store. If you can't make it to Midlothian, race day packet pick up is available starting at 7:30 am. In the past, I have always picked up my packet day of. However, if you choose to do this, it is mucho importante that you arrive early. Pick up starts at 7:30 am at Pocahontas. I would try to show up at 7:15 am. That gives you plenty of time to park, get your packet, get your number on juuuuuuuust right, dump the rest in your car, and get back to the start. Which leads me to...
  2. Race Day Arrival & Parking. First, parking is $5. Make sure you bring $5 cash. If you don't, you're out of luck.  I would recommend carpooling if you can. There is a handy dandy Starbucks at Iron Bridge and Courthouse Road (6921 Commons Square, Chesterfield, VA  23832) that I have used for this purpose in the past. Plan on a rendezvous with your fellow park and ride buddies around 7:00 am and that should give you plenty of time. Bonus: when you are finished the race, you are right there at Starbucks and can go in for a post-race celebratory latte. Second, traffic into the parking lot does have a tendency to get backed up so I would highly recommend aiming for a 7:15 am arrival time, especially if you are picking up your packet. The earlier you are there, the less time you will spend being annoyed at having to sit in a long line of cars as you wait to park. I don't want any of you to show up annoyed.
  3. Apparel & Gear. Right now the weather is looking great - partly cloudy with a low of 59 and high of 82 (don't worry, we'll be long gone before it hits 82). We will be running on mainly shaded trails, but I would still recommend sunblock as the finish festival area is in an open field area. I also suggest bug spray. Personally, I am a bug magnet. If there is one within a 10 mile radius of me that bites, it will find me and bite me. Therefore, I will be dousing myself with the stuff before the race. I'm also going to wear an older pair of shoes, just in case I end up stepping in something unsavory. And no, you don't need trail shoes for this race. The trails are not intense and are more like tow paths than anything else for the majority of the 4 miles. Your regular running shoes will be fine. 
  4. Look for me! I have my outfit picked out and will post a photo of what I'm wearing. Don't worry - it's a loud, distinctive pair of shorts and neon yellow tank, so I should be pretty easy to find. If I am feeling crafty (which isn't likely), I might even make a meet up sign and hold it above my head for a while. My upper body strength is pretty sad - almost as sad as my crafting skills - but I'll do my best. I plan to arrive at 7:15, pick up my packet, and then plant myself near something distinctive in the RLaG village. Once I finish running the race, I will also be hanging out at the finish line to cheer you all in. If you finish before me, I expect the same!
That's all I can think of for now. I hope you all are getting as excited as I am! Check back later this week for an outfit update and any last minute tips.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment