Pages

Monday, April 21, 2014

Let's Run Together: Run Like a Girl Pocahontas

So, I have an idea ladies.

How about we get together and create a Run Eat Play RVA Team for the upcoming Run Like a Girl: Pocahontas Edition race on Sunday, June 1.

Why, you ask?

First and foremost, I happen to know one of the amazing women who helps organize and put on the Run Like a Girl series races. She is an amazing athlete with a heart of gold, and I'd love to support her.

Second, this race is for a great cause: The HERA Women's Cancer Foundation, whose mission is to stop the loss of women from ovarian cancer by promoting Health, Empowerment, Research, and Awareness. I myself lost an aunt to ovarian cancer, so the cause is close to my heart. That aside, everyone spends so much time talking about Saving the Tatas (not that there is anything wrong with that!) that ovarian cancer awareness often takes a back seat - if it gets a seat at all. It's a silent and deadly form of cancer that we need to help educate our fellow women about and that we need to fight for a cure for too.

Third, I have participated in the race for three years running (punny!) and have thoroughly enjoyed myself every year.

The race is a 4 mile trail run at Pocahontas State Park in Chesterfield, Virginia. If you have never done trail running before, it is a great introduction. Trails are a completely different experience from the roads and I betcha you're going to love it.

Did I mention that this race is ladies only? That means you won't have to look at some guy's hairy back for 4 miles. Instead you'll get to scope out the fashions of your fellow runners, which is always one of my favorite things to do at races (let's be honest people, you know you do it too!). It's also pretty amazing to stand in a field of 1,000 women and feel all that girl power in one place!

Four, did I mention swag? This year, every participant will receive a coupon for a free class FIT Richmond and a finisher medal. Even though I have about 20 medals, I can never resist the siren call of more race bling.

AND the first 500 to register will receive RLaG knee socks.

But WAIT, there's more! RLaG participants can attend a free sports bra fitting clinic at Lululemon in Short Pump on April 28. Too bad the sports bra isn't free but hey, a girl can't have everything.

Oh, and if you need some help getting to the finish, Tri Girl Training in Richmond is offering a special RLaG training program for only $10.

All of this for the low low price of $30 for registration. This thing basically pays for itself!

Finally, if that all wasn't enough to convince you, you will get the distinct pleasure of running with my crazy self. I promise to be in fine form, providing all the best in on-the-course entertainment (run-dancing, air guitar, bad jokes, singing, etc) and high fives and/or sweaty hugs at the finish line.


Ok, Kathryn, you've convinced me, so how do I join Team Run Eat Play RVA?

Step 1: Go to this registration page and search for the group Run Eat Play RVA. Once you find the team in the list, click on the "Join" button.

Step 2: Fill out your registration information. When you get to the part with the green button that says "Select Team", click it. You will be prompted to enter a password to join the team. Enter the password, which is: cupcake. Because well... you all know I have a thing for cupcakes.

PS - I wouldn't advise Googling images of cupcakes.
Now I want to go eat 1/2 dozen.
Step 3: Complete your registration and then start picking out your outfit! The awareness color for ovarian cancer is teal, often paired with purple. Just in case you want to coordinate your outfit with the race theme... I don't know why any would do that...

...or anyone who would... ::cough::

Then I'll see you at Pocahontas State Park on June 1!

4 comments:

  1. Anyone can join your team? I've been wanting to try this event since I found out about it last year, but couldn't get the dates to work out with my schedule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Would love to have you - and you'll have so much fun. It really is a great event.

      Delete
  2. Kathryn, can spouses and children come to watch the race and cheer the runners on? And do you know if they allow dogs on leashes to be "spectators" as well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, I'm so sorry I didn't see you comment until today! I hope that your family and dog came to cheer you on - all are welcomed!

    ReplyDelete