Pages

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Random Discoveries & Observations

  1. I think that it is a law of running that as soon as one body part stops hurting, another one will start.
  2. On this past weekend's long run (15 miles, longest since the marathon, boo-yah), running buddy Will offered up a Salted Caramel Flavored Gu to try. As a rule, I do not like Gu, but if the words "salted caramel" are included in any description of a consumable item, I feel compelled to try it. The verdict? Salted Caramel Gu is freaking amazing  and I want to just eat it while sitting at my desk or at my couch. Also, I guess it will be a good fuel option. /shrug
  3. Never thought I would say this, but I actually prefer sweating my butt off during the summer to freezing it off during the winter when it comes to long runs. This morning it was 23 degrees, felt like 15 with the breeze. Despite wearing so many layers of clothing that I felt like the Stay Puft Marshmellow Man, the fronts of my thighs were bright red for two hours post run, I couldn't feel my face, and my gloves are (once again) covered with snot. Awesome, right? 
  4. When it comes to race courses, I've decided that not knowing what's coming is the better way to go. I decided that after  I looked at the elevation chart for the Raleigh Rock 'n Roll Marathon and had a minor panic attack.
  5. To continue on the running in the cold topic, ladies, I highly recommend Athleta's Toasty Buns Short. I purchased a pair out of desperation (my butt goes completely numb during cold runs). Although they don't keep it as toasty as I'd like, they do cut down on the wind and are especially helpful in keeping my hips warm, which helps with the SI issues. The only downside is that you look kind of ridiculous and they remind me a little bit of a diaper. Ah well. Runners are ridiculous by default, so whatever.
  6. One of my favorite places to eavesdrop is the ladies' locker room. You never know what kind of crazy conversations you are going to overhear when you walk into that place.
  7. Unplugging from Facebook has been really good for me and helped drastically with my ADD. Also, not being in constant contact with all of my running buddies means that we more conversations topics to explore during long runs. 
  8. Does anyone have experience with or thoughts on the Portland Rock 'n Roll Half? I have been procrastinating on my registration and would love feed back on the course if anyone has any. It would be about 1 month after my Raleigh marathon and I'm feeling reluctant about tackling a challenging half so soon after that.
  9. I find it quite amusing that last year, the big movement in running shoes was minimalism and now people are running around with what looks like giant pillows strapped to their feet (I'm looking at you, Hoka). Just sayin'.
  10. It's supposed to snow 8-10" overnight tomorrow (Wednesday) night. I need to run 12 miles on Saturday. Have I mentioned that I'm over winter now?

No comments:

Post a Comment